LAKE BUENA VISTA, FLORIDA — Today, Governor Ron DeSantis signed HB 9B, which ends the self-governing status and special privileges provided to Walt Disney World through the Reedy Creek Improvement District. The governor’s signature immediately establishes a new state-controlled district accountable to the people of Florida.
“Allowing a corporation to control its own government is bad policy, especially when the corporation makes decisions that impact an entire region,” said Governor DeSantis. “This legislation ends Disney’s self-governing status, makes Disney live under the same laws as everybody else, and ensures that Disney pays its debts and [its] fair share of taxes.”
The new legislation amends the Reedy Creek Improvement District charter, which:
- ENDS Disney’s self-governing status.
- ENDS Disney’s exemption from the Florida Building Code and Florida Fire Prevention Code.
- ENDS Disney’s exemption from state regulatory reviews and approvals.
- ENDS Disney’s secrecy by ensuring transparency.
- ENSURES that Disney will pay its fair share of taxes.
- PREVENTS Leftist local governments from using the situation to raise local taxes.
- IMPOSES Florida law so that Disney is no longer given preferential treatment.
- ENSURES that Disney’s municipal debt will be paid by Disney, not Florida taxpayers.
The five board members appointed by DeSantis are subject to Florida Senate confirmation.