TALLAHASSEE, FLORIDA — Today, Governor Ron DeSantis and Jared W. Perdue, Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) Secretary, announced the early completion of emergency road and bridge repairs for Pine Island.
On Sunday, Governor DeSantis directed FDOT to work with Lee County to expedite work and complete repairs by Saturday, October 8. Work began on Monday, and FDOT crews worked quickly to finish the emergency repairs – in less than three days.
“Within 24 hours after I asked FDOT to get involved, we had more than 130 trucks rolling in, and crews got to work,” said Governor DeSantis. “We made it a priority, and we didn’t just get it done – we got it done quick.”
“I want to thank the dedicated FDOT crews for working around the clock to restore the community’s access to Pine Island. Hundreds of loads of sand and rock, various pieces of heavy equipment, and dedicated crew members have literally helped pave the way to recovery for this community,” the governor said.
“We are proud to have worked alongside our partners, Lee County, and deliver on our promise of reconnecting this community to the mainland as quickly as we possibly could,” said FDOT Secretary Jared W. Perdue.
Hurricane Ian completely cut off access to the mainland, preventing services and supplies from being driven directly into the community. About 9,000 Pine Island residents can now return to their homes to survey the damage and start their recovery.
The emergency repairs are deemed safe by FDOT, and the agency will work to develop a plan for a permanent replacement of the bridge. Additionally, DeSantis announced yesterday that the contract to begin repairs to the Sanibel Causeway had been awarded. The repairs to the Sanibel Causeway are expected to be completed by the end of the month.